There were mixed results for local sides in National Basketball action this past weekend.
Trailing at half time in their Women’s Super League clash, IT Carlow couldn’t close the gap against Portlaoise Panthers at the finish, the Laois side running out 81-61 winners with Ciara McCarthy (11), Maeve Parahus (11), Sarah Kenny (10) and Holli Dunne (10) putting up the bulk of the scores for Carlow.
Carlow’s men’s side did get the better of Paris Texas Kilkenny, however. Kilkenny lead the way at the half time 40-37 with a seven point swing in the end for IT Carlow to steal an 86-82 win. Taylor Young (33), Lukasz Szulc (14) and Dino Knezovic (11) racked up the scores for Kilkenny while Jimmy Gordon (27), Alan O’Neill (12) and Aaron Whelan (11) were among the top scorers for IT Carlow.
Young, Szulc and James Butler were among the scorers for Kilkenny in their second fixture of the weekend, but they couldn’t overcome Keane’s Supervalu Killorglin with Daniel Jokubaitis and Ivan Bogdanovic chipping in over 40 points between them for a 75-60 win.
Marble City Hawks made it two from two to round out the weekend, defeating Ulster University Elks 68-53 in their Women’s Division One fixture before seeing off Fabplus North West 60-44 in their Women’s Division One Trophy encounter.
Basketball Ireland Results – November 11th and 12th
Basketball Ireland Men’s Super League
- UCD Marian 73-61 Belfast Star
- Griffith College Swords Thunder 88-59 Garvey’s Tralee Warriors
- Éanna 110-74 KUBS
- Maree 102-100 DCU Saints
- Black Amber Templeogue 86-82 Moycullen
- UCC Demons 95-104 Pyrobel Killester
Basketball Ireland Women’s Super League
- Courtyard Liffey Celtics 76-62 Maxol WIT Wildcats
- NUIG Mystics 61-67 Pyrobel Killester
- IT Carlow Basketball 61-81 Portlaoise Panthers
- DCU Mercy 80-68 Singleton SuperValu Brunell
Basketball Ireland Men’s Division 1
- LYIT Donegal 95-83 LIT Celtics
- Ballincollig 98-75 Scotts Lakers St Paul’s Killarney
- Keane’s Supervalu Killorglin 73-43 Portlaoise Panthers
- Paris Texas Kilkenny 82-86 IT Carlow Basketball
- Ulster University Elks 93-74 EJ Sligo All-Stars
- Paris Texas Kilkenny 60-75 Keane’s Supervalu Killorglin
- Titans 104-91 Dublin Lions
Basketball Ireland Women’s Division One
- Meteors 49-59 Griffith College Swords Thunder
- Fr Mathews 67-66 UL Huskies
- Ulster University Elks 53-68 Marble City Hawks
Basketball Ireland Women’s Division One Champions Trophy
- Fabplus North West 44-60 Marble City Hawks
This weekend (18/19 November) sees IT Carlow host Fr. Mathews at the Barrow Centre (12.30pm) in Men’s Division One action while Paris Texas Kilkenny are away to EJ Sligo All-Stars at Mercy College (7.30pm), both games on Saturday.
On Sunday, IT Carlow are off to Calasanctius College at 3pm to face NUIG Mystics in the Hula Hoops Women’s National Cup preliminary round.